After years of yo-yo dieting, Kirstie Alley has finally lost the weight and is sharing her secret recipes for staying skinny and satisfied. This low carb tortilla soup is both tasty and healthy.
Make this delicious, low-calorie tortilla soup for lunch and you won’t be tempted to overeat in the afternoon. (Updated 2022: Sadly, we lost Kirstie Alley in 2022. She passed away from colon cancer at age 71. Let us all learn from this, and make sure you are getting screened if you're over age 45. Rest in peace Kirstie. You made us smile and you'll be missed 🙂 🙏.)
This low carb tortilla soup is a combination of vibrant vegetables stewed in a rich and savory broth with soft shredded chicken, spicy spices, and a low-carb adaptation of a traditional favorite.
This soup is a great treat for the eyes and the tongue, finished with a sprinkle of crushed low-carb tortilla chips, fresh cilantro, and creamy avocado slices. Prepare to enjoy the warmth and zing of this special dish made with tortillas that will have you wanting more with every spoonful.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 30 min
- Serves: 6
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Avocado slices, for garnish
- Low-carb tortilla chips, crushed, for garnish
- Over medium heat, warm the olive oil in a big pot. Add the jalapeño pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté the onion until it turns translucent.
- To the pot, add the cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano. The spices should be thoroughly mixed into the vegetables.
- Add the diced tomatoes with juice and the chicken broth. The mixture should boil.
- Shredded chicken, cauliflower florets, zucchini, and bell peppers should all be added to the stew after lowering the heat. Simmer the vegetables for approximately 15 minutes, or until they are soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste when preparing the soup. Add the lime juice and thoroughly whisk.
- Pour the soup into bowls and top with chopped avocado, fresh cilantro, and low-carb tortilla chips.
- Calories: 154
- Total Fat: 6.3g 8%
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g 7%
- Cholesterol: 43mg 14%
- Sodium: 103mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate: 7.6g 3%
- Dietary Fiber: 1.9g 7%
- Total Sugars: 3.3g
- Protein: 16.8g
Why this is good for you
- Low in Carbs: Because of the soup's deliberate low-carb composition, it is ideal for people on a low-carb or ketogenic diets.
- High in Protein: The shredded chicken in the soup provides a good chunk of protein, which is necessary for keeping a healthy immune system, repairing and growing tissues, and supporting muscular growth. It's also great for satiating the appetite.
- Vegetable-Rich: This dish includes a number of vibrant vegetables, including bell peppers, zucchini, and cauliflower. These vegetables are brimming with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that advance general health and well-being.
- Contains a variety of vital elements, including vitamins, minerals, and dietary fibre, in each serving thanks to the combination of chicken, veggies, and tasty spices. Keeping hydrated: The soup's broth-based composition aids in healthy digestion.
This tortilla soup is carb-friendly, keto-friendly, and your taste buds will love it! And with prep time of 15 minutes, you can make it happen when you're on the go.