In this tempting low carb beef stew, fresh veggies are tossed with delicate beef, and cooked to perfection in a flavorful broth. This rich, nourishing stew, which is bursting with herbs and spices, is made to sate your palate while limiting your carbohydrate intake.
Prepare to savor each spoonful of this cozy low-carb treat that will make you feel warm within. It's a delicious and easy-to-make beef stew, delectable as can be, and low carb and keto-friendly.
Low Carb Beef Stew is a delightful fusion of juicy beef chunks, vegetables and aromatic herbs, all simmered in a savory broth. This stew is great for those on a ketogenic or a low-carb diet as it is not loaded with potatoes or other starchy vegetables but still super flavorful and satiating. Each bite gives you a balance of soft meat and fresh veggies in a delicious warm broth, which is perfect to have on a chilly evening.
Step-by-Step Video Instructions
⬇️ Jump to:
❤ Why You'll Love this Recipe
Stews have always been a comfort food across many cultures. The mix of beef, herbs, and veggies gives a deep and tasty flavor. As they cook together, all the ingredients blend to create a hearty and pleasing taste. It's especially loved on cold evenings because of its warmth and rich taste.
Plus, it's packed with nutrients from the meat, veggies, and oils, making it a well-rounded meal. The meat and veggies fill you up, so you're not left feeling hungry afterward. And even though it takes a while for the flavors to come together as it cooks, making it is pretty simple. That's why both new cooks and those with more experience love making it.
- 1 ¼ pounds of beef, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 stock cubes (preferably beef, but chicken will work too) dissolved in 4 cups of water (or as needed to cover the meat and veggies)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil or another preferred cooking oil
👨👩👧 Serves: 5 ⏰ Prep Time: 10 mins ⏰ Cook Time: 2 hrs 20 mins
First, prepare your ingredients. Dice the onion, slice the carrot, cube the turnip, and mince the garlic.
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat two tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef chunks in a single layer and sear on all sides for 8-10 minutes or until browned.
Remove the beef and set it aside. In the same pot, add the remaining oil and sauté the diced onion until translucent.
Add the minced garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn it. Then, add the tomato paste and mix well. Deglaze the pan by adding the stock. Then add the prepared carrot, turnip, beef, herbs and spices. If needed, add extra water to ensure everything is covered.
Bring the stew to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and let it simmer for about 1.5 to 2 hours. This allows the beef to become tender and the flavors to meld. After simmering and ensuring the beef is tender, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Remember to remove the bay leaves before serving. Once ready, ladle the stew into bowls, garnishing with fresh parsley if desired, and serve warm.
📃 Nutritional Value
Calories per serving: 286 kcals Carbohydrates: 8.5 g
Dietary fiber: 1.9 g
Total sugars: 3.7 g
Protein: 27 g
Fat: 17 g
Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
Cholesterol: 74 mg
Sodium: 537 mg
Vitamin D: 0 mcg
Calcium: 38 mg
Iron: 4 mg
Potassium: 224 mg
👍 Why This is Good for You
- Rich in Protein: The meat used in beef stew contains a sizable amount of superior protein. Protein is necessary for repairing and regenerating tissues, aiding the growth of muscles, and enhancing satiety.
- Veggies that are high in nutrients: This stew has a variety of veggies, including celery, carrots, onions, and mushrooms. These veggies are a rich source of dietary fibre, important vitamins, and minerals that support digestion and general health.
- Low in Carbohydrates: This stew is excellent for people on a low-carb or ketogenic diet because it uses few high-carb components. Restricting carbohydrates can enhance weight loss, improve insulin sensitivity, and stabilise blood sugar levels.
- Providing Vital Nutrients and Hydration: The beef broth used in the stew is nourishing. Without adding a lot of calories or carbs, it also deepens flavour.
- Healthy Monounsaturated Fats: When consumed in moderation, the healthy monounsaturated fats added by the olive oil used to sauté the ingredients can improve heart health.
- Versatility: To meet dietary requirements and personal preferences, this stew can be simply modified by adding additional low-carb veggies or herbs.
This low carb beef stew is perfect if you're watching your carbs, or following a strict keto diet. The ingredients are selective to avoid high-ingredients, like potatoes. It's also easy to prepare.
Any leftover stew can be safely stored in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days by placing it in an air-tight container. For longer storage, you can store your stew in the freezer for up to six months.
🍝 Foods to Complement with the Beef Stew
While beef stew is filling on its own, adding a side can enhance the meal experience by providing contrasting flavors and textures. It also helps in ensuring you're getting a variety of nutrients in your meal. Low-carb beef stew can be complemented with several low carb friendly side dishes and accompaniments such as,
- Cauliflower Mash: This is a great low-carb alternative to mashed potatoes and pairs wonderfully with beef stew.
- Green Salad: A simple green salad with a vinaigrette dressing can provide a refreshing contrast to the heartiness of the stew.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts: These can be roasted with some olive oil, salt, and pepper for a crispy, flavorful side.
- Keto Garlic Bread: Made using almond flour, this can be a delicious side to enjoy with your stew.
- Zucchini Noodles: If you're missing the feeling of pasta, this can be a great addition.
- Steamed Asparagus: Drizzled with a bit of olive oil, lemon, and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Avocado Slices: Adds creaminess and a good source of healthy fats to complement the meal.
Low-carb beef stew is a hearty, flavorful dish packed with tender beef, veggies, and rich spices. It is perfect for those following a keto or low-carb diet, as it's both satisfying and nutritious. Great for a chilly evening; this dish not only warms your body but also satisfies your appetite while keeping carbs in check.
To elevate your meal, pair it with keto-friendly sides like cauliflower mash, steamed asparagus, or a fresh green salad and enjoy your delicious Low Carb Beef Stew!
Check out Delishio's recipe to enjoy eating while maintaining your low carb diet.